A community’s overall health depends on multiple factors, including the environment they live in. A healthier living environment reduces health risks and promotes better lifestyle choices. Determinants of a healthy living environment are described as Community Planning Objectives, listed below.
1. Access to recreation and open space
2. Access to healthy foods
3. Access to medical services
4. Access to public transit and safe active transportation
5. Access to quality affordable housing
6. Access to economic opportunities
7. Completeness of neighborhoods
8. Safe neighborhoods and public spaces
9. Environmental quality
10. Green and sustainable development and practices
Health impacts describe the link between determinants of a healthy living environment and specific health conditions. The research and analysis that establishes these links is cited in the technical appendix of the Richmond General Plan Update Existing Conditions Report (see link on the left sidebar).